daimler recalls 3 million diesel cars
Thursday 3 April 2025
Last Updated : GMT 05:17:37
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice

Daimler recalls 3 million diesel cars

Emiratesvoice, emirates voice

Emiratesvoice, emirates voice Daimler recalls 3 million diesel cars

German luxury car
Berlin - Emirates Voice

German luxury car maker Daimler, which is being investigated for alleged emissions cheating, announced Tuesday a voluntary recall of more than three million Mercedes-Benz diesel vehicles in Europe.
It said it had already launched a service action for other models and that, “in order to effectively improve the emissions of additional model series, Daimler has now decided to extend the service action to include over three million Mercedes-Benz vehicles.”
The Stuttgart-based company said the action would cost the company 220 million euros ($255 million) and be free of charge for customers.
“In this way, Daimler is making a significant contribution to the reduction of nitrogen-oxide emissions from diesel vehicles in European inner cities,” it said in a statement.
The recall will start in coming weeks.
Last week, German media reported that Daimler had manipulated the engines of around one million diesel vehicles to make them appear less polluting, raising echoes of competitor Volkswagen’s “dieselgate” scandal.
Sueddeutsche Zeitung daily and two public broadcasters, citing a court-issued search warrant, said the company “sold vehicles with higher levels of damaging emissions than allowed for almost a whole decade between 2008 and 2016, in Europe and the United States.”
Investigators suspect Daimler used a similar so-called “defeat device” to Volkswagen, which in 2015 admitted to manipulating emissions readings on 11 million diesel vehicles worldwide.
Software in the motor runs the emissions treatment system at a higher setting when it detects the vehicle is undergoing regulatory testing.
At the time, a Daimler spokeswoman contacted by AFP declined to comment on an ongoing investigation, but said the carmaker was cooperating with the authorities.
The European Commissioner for industry, Elzbieta Bienkowska, described the latest development as “worrying.”
“This can’t continue,” she said in a written response to AFP.
“It’s bad for consumers and bad for the car industry’s good name and future.
“There is no excuse claiming the EU law is too vague. The law is clear. Defeat devices are forbidden.”
In its latest statement, Daimler said Mercedes-Benz had developed a completely new diesel engine family that could meet stricter EU emission regulations to come.
“The public debate about diesel engines is creating uncertainty — especially for our customers,” said Dieter Zetsche, chief executive of Daimler AG and head of Mercedes-Benz Cars.
“We have therefore decided on additional measures to reassure drivers of diesel cars and to strengthen confidence in diesel technology,” he said.
“We are convinced that diesel engines will continue to be a fixed element of the drive-system mix, not least due to their low CO2 emissions.”

Source: Arab News

Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

daimler recalls 3 million diesel cars daimler recalls 3 million diesel cars

 



Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

daimler recalls 3 million diesel cars daimler recalls 3 million diesel cars

 



GMT 10:31 2014 Tuesday ,23 December

Mirages of failure: Lebanon cannot wait

GMT 10:18 2018 Thursday ,30 August

Iran incapable of closing Hormuz, Bab Al Mandeb

GMT 11:03 2018 Tuesday ,23 January

No end to eyesores at Taj Mahal

GMT 12:52 2018 Friday ,19 January

Clear, dry weather on Friday

GMT 10:39 2017 Sunday ,26 November

Malaysian Sultan of Johor to visit Bahrain on Sunday

GMT 00:35 2017 Friday ,29 September

Saif bin Zayed offers condolences o

GMT 13:42 2016 Saturday ,17 December

All eyes on Trump over Mars

GMT 03:44 2016 Wednesday ,07 December

Fujairah Ruler receives Lubna Al Qasimi

GMT 08:39 2017 Wednesday ,06 September

Saudi Arabia reaches World Cup finals with dramatic win

GMT 19:36 2016 Monday ,04 April

Chinese brands' value on the rise

GMT 21:25 2016 Tuesday ,06 September

Explosion rocks Kabul

GMT 08:15 2017 Tuesday ,01 August

HUAWEI nova 2 Plus launches in the UAE

GMT 13:00 2016 Tuesday ,16 August

NASA mulls Russian idea to cut staff

GMT 00:06 2017 Wednesday ,04 October

Army kills mercenaries in Baidha

GMT 05:55 2017 Friday ,22 December

US drone strike kills Qaeda propaganda chief in Yemen

GMT 07:15 2017 Saturday ,13 May

Pakistan attack claims 25 lives

GMT 14:17 2017 Tuesday ,10 January

Zimbabwe arrests over 400 in poaching crackdown

GMT 06:12 2018 Friday ,19 January

California couple who held 13 children captive

GMT 17:42 2017 Wednesday ,23 August

New investments likely to fuel growth within UAE
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
 
 Emirates Voice Facebook,emirates voice facebook  Emirates Voice Twitter,emirates voice twitter Emirates Voice Rss,emirates voice rss  Emirates Voice Youtube,emirates voice youtube  Emirates Voice Youtube,emirates voice youtube

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

emiratesvoieen emiratesvoiceen emiratesvoiceen emiratesvoiceen
emiratesvoice emiratesvoice emiratesvoice
emiratesvoice
بناية النخيل - رأس النبع _ خلف السفارة الفرنسية _بيروت - لبنان
emiratesvoice, Emiratesvoice, Emiratesvoice